Sometimes in life, you just need a brownie. These brownies are everything you want - minus the guilt. Sweet. Gooey. Moist and delicious! Better yet, they're gluten-free, vegan, and contain no processed sugar or butter.
- 1 cup pitted Medjool datesn or 3/4 cup Grade B Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs (for each egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed (measure after grinding) with 3 tablespoons of water
- 3/4 cup almond flour (or 1 cup gluten free baking flour of choice)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life dark mini chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- optional add-ins: 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, almond butter or 1/3 cup walnuts, hazelnuts, or coconut shreds
- Pour the hot water over the dates in a bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Place the dates and water in the bowl of a food processor or in a blender. Process the dates until they are smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 10 standard-sized muffin tins with cooking spray. Alternatively, fit each with a paper liner.
- Prepare flax eggs in a small bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Place coconut oil in a large mixing bowl and melt in the microwave. Then stir in the flax egg, blended dates, vanilla, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine. Lastly, add the flour, then fold in any flour and choco-chips or nuts.
- Scoop batter evenly into muffin tins until 3/4 full and bake on the middle rack for 22-26 minutes, or until the brownies start to pull away from the sides and they spring back slightly to the touch. Be careful not to overcook or they will get crumbly. Remove from oven and let rest in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a plate or cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container to keep fresh for a couple of days. Freeze for long-term storage. Enjoy!