One of the best superfoods that I recommend adding into your daily essentials are mighty, powerful chia seeds. And yes, I’m talking about the same seeds that you know from Chia Pets from the 90's! Let the truth be told that chia seeds have been around for quite a while - Aztec and Incan warriors used to eat them before running long distances for strength and power!
Flash-forward to 2017, chia seeds have been considered one of the strongest superfoods to exist. Chia seeds are an energy-filled powerhouse with more omega 3 and omega 6 fats than salmon, more calcium than milk and all essential amino acids, making them a complete protein. Not to mention all the fiber, antioxidants and minerals, too.
These nutrient-packed seeds will keep you satisfied longer and help in reducing cravings, or even prevent an afternoon energy zap!
You can sprinkle them in a smoothie, oatmeal, salad or even use them as an egg replacement! If you're in a rush, just take a tablespoon and add into your water!
Check out this super simple recipe for chia pudding!
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1-3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup, to taste
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
- Whisk the almond milk, chia seeds, and sweetener together in a large bowl. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and then whisk again (this just helps prevent clumping).
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 2.5-3 hours, or overnight. It helps to stir the mixture every so often during this time, but don't worry if you can't.
- Stir well before serving. Portion into bowl(s) and add your desired toppings. Leftovers will keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.