Let’s cut to it. Your diet and thoughts play a huge role on your skin! And problem skin is never a wanted experience. I’ve always struggled with breakouts. I’ve problem tried every cleanser on the market and no gimmick did the trick until I really changed my diet- removed gluten, dairy oh and refined sugars.
10 Tips for Glowing Skin
I’ve unlocked a lot of the tips & tricks to my best skin hacks and here’s some of my secrets to clear, glowing skin that will love you back.
Here’s are my secrets to clear, glowing skin:
1) Exfoliate. Clear and bright skin is made possible by exfoliating the dead skin away! I recommend manually decongesting your skin using a dry brush. Upon waking: gently rub the face in circular motions for 1-2 mins. It’s also a great way to wake yourself up! If you don’t have a dry crush, you can use a wash cloth.
2) Raw honey. Pure, raw honey is naturally antibacterial and moisturizing. It’s what Native Americans used on wounds! After exfoliating, squeeze a little honey into your palm, add a few drops of water to thin it out, and then rub all over yo’ face! Rinse off with a wash cloth. I follow with a few drops of a light facial oil, and go about my day. No morning “cleanser”, the sugars in the honey are cleansing enough.
3) Oil Cleanse. I only use an actual sudsing cleanser at night, after wearing makeup. I tend to have oily skin, so I’m a huge fan of using grapeseed oil for face cleansing, without stripping the natural oils. If you are going to use a cleanser, make sure it’s extra gentle and doesn’t contain harsh detergents. These just assault your skin and cause an increased oil production, and redness. Reach for the gentle stuff – especially if you have difficult acne.
4) Fish oil. Fat is your skin-friend. Especially DHA + EPA (the fancy components of Omega-3’s). Taking fish oil daily can also help curb fat cravings, and assist in balancing our diet. Aim for at least 500 mg a day. All fish oils are not created equal.
5) Peace out gluten. Gluten sensitivity, was once thought to be a rarity and is now believed to affect one third of the population (perhaps more on a subclinical level). The shitty thing is that we often do not detect the sensitivity, because it’s generally “silent inflammation”, and creeps up all sneaky like. Gluten intolerance can develop an un-fun array of medical conditions, acne and other skin rashes among the most common contenders. Quitting gluten was one of the biggest factors in clearing up my skin.
6) Probiotics. Probiotics are great for general gastrointestinal tract health and thus your overall bacterial balance. Probiotics are also great for hormonal health because imbalances in the gut bacteria can lead to the reabsorption of estrogen from your gut back into your blood, even after you liver has tried to get rid of it. Aka: healthy GI flora = happier hormones. Happy hormones = less breakouts. Aim for at least 5-10 billions live organisms/day. I love Garden of Life Probiotics.
7) Beauty sleep. It’s such a cliche’, but sleep truly is the best medicine. It is the time the skin renews itself, and when regenerative healing occurs. Sleep is also a dear friend of our immune system. Aim for at least 8 hours, 9 is ideal for most of us. We are so obsessed with DOING in our culture, that it can feel “lazy”to BE. Permit yourself rest, prioritize it and you will see and feel the difference.
8) Sugar detox. Did you know sugar is 4x more addictive than cocaine and heroin? YIKES! We can aid a happy tummy by removing sugar, refined flours and processed foods. These all lead to a cycle of cravings and inflammation in the body.
9) Happy hormones. I recommend avoiding soy and dairy if you experience breakouts. Soy contains phytoestrogens that can intercept our body’s own hormonal production, and dairy is truly a hormonal cocktail. Dairy should also be omitted or greatly reduced if PMS is severe.
10) Hydrate! One word: Water. Getcha H20, babes. It will rock your world, help flush toxins, and keep your body systems running fluidly Aim for fresh spring water and avoid silly bottled water I keep a water bottle with me at all times, it’s become a habit to just drink whenever I’m sitting, it’s an easy way to keep your water intake constant. Toss in a few lemon slices for an added detox.